Friday, July 22, 2011

Golf: Home hope Noren leads in Sweden

Alexander Noren is seeking to win his third European Tour title with his first victory on home soil this weekend.
Alexander Noren is seeking to win his third European Tour title with his first victory on home soil this weekend.
  • Alexander Noren leads by three shots at halfway stage of the Scandinavian Masters
  • Swede briefly sets course record after carding a six-under 66 in second round
  • That is matched by second-placed Shiv Kapur and then beaten by Jin Jeong
  • Japan's Miki Saiki has one-shot lead at halfway stage of women's Evian Masters

(CNN) -- Swedish golfer Alexander Noren claimed a three-shot lead at the halfway stage of the Scandinavian Masters in his native Stockholm on Friday.

The 29-year-old briefly set a new course record at Bro Hof Slott as he carded a six-under-par 66 to reach -11 after his second round.

That mark was soon matched by India's Shiv Kapur, who finished the day in second place, and then beaten by South Korea's Jin Jeong -- who birdied three of his last four holes to card 65 and be tied for fifth.

American PGA Tour star Bubba Watson shot 67 to be tied for third on six-under 138 with South Africa's Jaco Van Zyl, two shots behind Kapur.

It really helps playing this course a lot, I know what lines there are and I know when to step back
--Alexander Noren

Former European No. 1 Robert Karlsson was among those on five under after the Swede shot 70.

Noren is seeking his third European Tour title, having won the Wales Open in June and the European Masters in 2009.

"I played probably the best I've ever played. It's just been great, everything has been going better," he said following his bogey-free round.

"I don't think I've ever done that on this course and I've played here a lot. It really helps playing this course a lot, I know what lines there are and I know when to step back."

World No. 14 Watson, the highest-ranked player in the field, eagled the par-five ninth hole to get back on course after two successive bogeys, and then birdied four in a row from the 12th.

"I struggled on the front nine. Made a couple of dumb mistakes -- three bogeys. Hit one in the water today - it could be better. I'm in a good position though, I've got to keep making birdies and hopefully not make any mistakes," the big-hitting 32-year-old said.

"I knew I was going to have a lot of short irons if I hit it over bunkers. There's five par-fives, so you know I love that."

Meanwhile, Japan's Miki Saiki took a one-shot lead at the halfway stage of the women's Evian Masters in France on Friday.

The 26-year-old carded six birdies in her 67 as she reached nine under to move ahead of a group of five players including compatriot Ai Miyazato -- the 2009 winner -- and Kraft Nabisco champion Stacy Lewis.

Another American, Paula Creamer, also carded 67 to be another shot adrift.

Source: http://rss.cnn.com/~r/rss/edition_sport/~3/YY9FkGoE9jc/index.html

golf news magazine CNN golf channel CNN ipl cricket news CNN soccer news CNN Boxing Flash Updates

No comments:

Post a Comment