Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mathews ponders second retirement

Derry Mathews Mathews beat his former nemesis Tseveenpurev in Prizefighter in 2010

Liverpool boxer Derry Mathews says he will retire for a second time if he is beaten by Stephen Jennings on Saturday.

Mathews, 27, came out of retirement in July 2010, and is in line for a European lightweight title fight.

"If you're beaten fighting for the British Masters title, where do you go?" Mathews told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"Where would you go if you're beaten by Stephen Jennings? I've got the European title fight next, so I've got to win this fight."

He added: "I've got a lot to lose. If I'm beaten, I'll have to get a nine-to-five job because I'll walk away from the game.

"But I'm fully focused, whether it's for a world title or English title, I just know I've got to win this fight."

Mathews was due to fight Gavin Rees, who holds the European lightweight title, earlier this month but injury forced the Welshman to stand down.

Jennings, 27, hopes all the talk of big title fights for his opponent will be a help him at the Greenbank Sports Centre at the weekend.

"He may be underestimating me, but the worst thing he can do is underestimate me," said Jennings.

"Because on the night I will win. I believe and everyone around me believes I'm good enough to go and beat Derry.

"Derry's had 33 fights and done well, but I'm on the up. I'm going up and not coming back down."

CNN ipl cricket news golf news magazine CNN golf channel CNN ipl cricket news CNN soccer news

No comments:

Post a Comment