Friday, July 29, 2011

Noren romps home in Sweden for third title

Alexander Noren poses with the Scandinavian Masters trophy after winning by seven shots in Stockholm.
Alexander Noren poses with the Scandinavian Masters trophy after winning by seven shots in Stockholm.
  • Alexander Noren wins the Scandinavian Masters by seven shots
  • Swede cards a final round of five-over in strong winds in Stockholm
  • David Finch comes second with Bubba Watson and Dustin Johnson tied for sixth
  • Japan's Ai Miyazato wins the Evian Masters in France

(CNN) -- Alexander Noren could afford to fire a five-over-par 77 in the final round of the Scandinavian Masters in Sweden and still win by seven shots in his native Stockholm.

Fierce winds dominated the final afternoon at the Bro Hof Slott course, with only England's Richard Finch, who finished second on eight-under, managing to break par.

Noren, who shot a course record 63 on Saturday to go into the final round 11 shots clear of the field, opened with a birdie but then slumped to make five bogeys and one double bogey.

But he survived the notorious 17th hole, which features an island green, to end on 15-under. Fellow Swede Niklas Lemke finished third on five-under with Australian Scott Hend and Spain's Pablo Martin a shot back.

Big-hitting Americans Bubba Watson and Dustin Johnson both finished tied for sixth place on three-under.

I am so relieved. The only thing I thought of all day was the 17th
--Alexander Noren

Noren told the European Tour's web site: "I am so relieved. The only thing I thought of all day was the 17th. I said it doesn't matter how I play up to that, I just have to survive 17 and I did.

"I've never seen wind like this in Sweden. Every hole was super tough and even downwind it was hard to choose the clubs."

Noren admitted he was especially pleased to triumph in front of his home crowd: "It's even more amazing at home, everyone cheering you on and you don't really feel that somewhere else.

"It's amazing, you see some friendly faces in the crowd and it's unbelievable. I'm very happy."

Finch, who carded a one-under round of 69 to secure second place, said: "For seventeen holes it's the best round of golf I've ever played - absolutely delighted. It was a tough day.

"The course is tough enough as it is without however many mile an hour winds it is blowing."

Meanwhile, Japan's Ai Miyazato secured her second Evian Masters title in France after a two-under-par final round.

Miyazato, who won the 2009 installment of the the LPGA tournament, finished on 15-under, beating American Stacy Lewis by two shots.

She told the tournament's web site: This is my favorite tournament, so I'm really happy that could win this tournament again. Especially right now. In Japan we are having a really tough time, so I'm just really happy that I could do very some good news for Japan."

CNN cricket highlights CNN golf news golf equipment news CNN World sports CNN hbo boxing

No comments:

Post a Comment