Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Dyson pips Green to Irish Open crown

England's Simon Dyson won his fifth European Tour event at the Irish Open in Killarney.
England's Simon Dyson won his fifth European Tour event at the Irish Open in Killarney.
  • England's Simon Dyson wins the Irish Open at the Killarney Golf and Fishing club
  • Dyson beats Australian Richard Green by one shot to win on 15-under-par
  • Graeme McDowell and Rory McIlroy finish over ten shots off the pace
  • Padraig Harrington splits with long time coach Bob Torrance

(CNN) -- England's Simon Dyson capitalized on Richard Green's mistake on the final green to take the Irish Open title by one shot.

Green, from Australia, led the tournament for most of the final afternoon but a three-putt on the 18th green opened the door for Dyson, who made two birdies in the final three holes to win on 15-under-par.

Victory secures Dyson a place at this week's Bridgestone Invitational in Akron, Ohio and builds on his ninth-placed finish at the British Open earlier this month.

Scotland's Stephen Gallacher finished third while major champions Graeme McDowell and Rory McIlroy, both from Northern Ireland, finished over ten shots off the pace.

Dyson told the European Tour's official web site: "It's a shame you can't bottle how you feel sometimes. It's amazing -- it really is. The golf I've played this week is probably the best I've ever played."

After securing his fifth win on the European Tour and scooping prize money of $369,000 Dyson said he was delighted to have qualified for the Bridgestone Invitational.

The golf I've played this week is probably the best I've ever played
--Simon Dyson

"That was the main aim after The Open," he added. "I knew after that I could cut with the guys in the majors and I was thinking if I keep swinging it as I am I'm going to give myself chances."

Dyson and Green were level going down the last but Green sent a 60-foot putt past the hole and missed the return.

Dyson made a par to seal his win but afterwards said he felt sympathy for his rival.

"You always feel sorry for somebody when that happens," added Dyson. "I would have much preferred to win it with a birdie, but I will take whatever I can get."

McIlroy finished in 34th place on three-under after finishing with a round of 71 but said he was focused on the year's fourth and final major -- the US PGA Championship that starts on August 11th in Georgia.

The 22-year-old said: "It wasn't the result I was looking for, but this was the first week of three.

"Next week is big, but the week after (the US PGA) is the most important one. I feel if I put the work in there's no reason why I can't have another good shot at a major."

After the tournament, three-time major winner Padraig Harrington announced he had split with his long time coach Bob Torrance, according to AFP.

Torrance, who is father of ex-Ryder Cup captain Sam, has been Harrington's coach for 15 years during which the player won his three major titles but the Irishman has not won in Europe or the United States since 2008.

Torrance said: "He's like a son to me and I hope we can get back together. I wasn't really expecting this, but I know he's been unhappy. His game is in a bad shape because of his mind -- I've said that to him -- but he's determined to make changes."

CNN boxing rankings CNN golf news headlines

No comments:

Post a Comment