Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Stepanek earns shock Legg Mason triumph

The Czech Republic's Radek Stepanek had not won a Tour title since San Jose in 2009.
The Czech Republic's Radek Stepanek had not won a Tour title since San Jose in 2009.
  • Radek Stepanek beats top seed Gael Monfils to win the Legg Mason Classic
  • It is fifth ATP Tour title of Stepanek's career and his first since 2009
  • Monfils tired after marathon semifinal win over John Isner in Washington
  • The result could see Stepanek enter the top 30 of the world rankings

(CNN) -- Radek Stepanek claimed a shock win against top seed Gael Monfils to clinch the Legg Mason Classic in Washington.

The Czech broke world number seven Monfils' serve once in each set to secure a 6-4 6-4 triumph and his first ATP Tour title since San Jose in 2009.

"It's my biggest win in my career so far and it's come in the latter stage of my career," the 32-year-old told the Tour's official web site.

"It means so much to me that I'm capable even in this age to play such great tennis, beating the guys from the top 10 and winning the title."

It means so much to me that I'm capable even in this age to play such great tennis
--Radek Stepanek

Stepanek, who is currently ranked 54 in the world, is set to rise into the top 30 off the back of his win at the William H.G. FitzGerald Tennis Center, having previously been as high as number eight.

Monfils only reached Sunday's final after a marathon semifinal victory over American John Isner which went on well into Saturday night, and the 24-year-old admitted to feeling the strain.

"It's a bit difficult the recovery, it's pretty quick and fast," said Monfils. "But still I think Radek played a tough match today. He was pretty aggressive and didn't miss a lot of balls, so I think he played better than me today."

Despite his defeat, Monfils drew plenty of encouragement from his performance at the tournament.

"I felt in great shape," he said. "I think my tennis started to be better and better. I think I had a great week, even if I didn't catch the title, but still it's a great week."

Stepanek said it was difficult to keep competing against younger players, but he had no intention of retiring any time soon.

"We are like wine," he said. "The older we are getting, the better we are. Until my body falls apart I'll be trying to stay competitive in this level. It's very difficult because all the guys are great at this; they're moving very fast.

"We cannot go against Mother Nature. But I'm very pleased and happy the work I'm putting in for many years is paying off and I'm still able to compete with the top guys."

cricket live news CNN west indies cricket news Cricket News CNN cricket live news CNN Cricket updates

No comments:

Post a Comment